Following on from its in depth review of the Society’s workings, the BDS Board has been working in recent months on the five year Strategic Plan reproduced below and which was adopted at its board meeting in June 2018.
A healthy, valued and sustainable population of deer.
The promotion of education, research and management best practice to ensure a healthy and sustainable deer population in balance with the environment, widely appreciated as part of the biodiversity of the UK landscape.
Strategic Goals 2018-2023:
1. To be the go-to place for objective and unbiased information on the biology of deer and methods of deer management, humane treatment and humane control.
2. To develop and extend the reach and membership of the Society.
3. To provide funding and coordination for high quality research and promote the findings within Government(s), academia, trade organisations, members, the media and the public.
4. To improve the general education of the public on issues concerning deer through active engagement and access to high quality educational materials.
5. To promote best practice in deer management by developing and delivering high quality deer management training.
6. To establish strong partnerships with relevant partner organisations to develop consensus on deer related issues.
7. To ensure compliance with all applicable Charity Commission regulations.
8. To ensure the prosperity of the Society through effective funding and financial management.
9. To provide effective and coherent management of the Society.